Home security is a top concern for homeowners in Charleston, SC, especially those with families or valuable possessions to protect. When it comes to fortifying your home against potential intrusions, one aspect that demands careful attention is door security. A secure front door serves as the primary entry point to your home, making it an attractive target for potential intruders. By investing in door security features, you can create a strong defense system that significantly reduces the risk of break-ins and provides peace of mind for you and your loved ones.
Importance of Front/Exterior Door Security in Charleston
All homeowners understand the significance of front or exterior door security. With a secure front door, you not only protect your loved ones and belongings but also create a deterrent for potential intruders. According to statistics, about 56% of home burglaries involve forced entry, while 34% enter through an unlocked door or window. By increasing the security features or choosing a new door with built-in security, you enhance the resistance against break-ins and ensure the safety of your home.
Common Security Features for Charleston Homeowners
When it comes to door security, there are several common features that homeowners can consider incorporating into their homes:
A security plate is a valuable addition to your door that enhances its resistance against break-ins. Typically installed at the gap between the door and the frame, known as the strike plate area, a security plate acts as a barrier, making it more difficult for intruders to force the door open. Made of durable materials such as steel or reinforced metal, the security plate provides a strong defense against physical attacks. By reinforcing the vulnerable area of the door, it significantly improves the overall security of your home.
Deadbolts are widely recognized as one of the most effective security features for doors. They provide an additional layer of protection beyond traditional locks, making it much more difficult for intruders to force their way inside. There are various types of deadbolt locks available, each offering unique features and benefits:
- Trilennium® Multi-Point: Offers homeowners better door closure and sealing than a single-point lock. Three 1″ deadbolts latch with a deadbolt throw, plus a latch and deadbolt release with a single downward movement.
- Hoppe® Multi-Point: Provides additional security with four points latching when the door is locked and easy operation with one point of latching when unlocked. Anti-back drive prevents locking points from disengaging from the outside for added security.
- Emtek®: Features unique Interconnect Devices that provide the security of a locking deadbolt while allowing for a panic-proof exit. Turning the interior knob or lever simultaneously retracts both the deadbolt and the passage latches.
- Schlage® Electronic Keypad: The Schlage Sense™ Smart Deadbolt allows you to enter an access code on the touchscreen to unlock the door instead of searching for your keys. Pairing the lock with your smartphone over Bluetooth is easy and convenient.
Reinforced Door Frames
A reinforced door frame is designed to withstand greater amounts of force, offering increased protection against kick-ins and forced entries. The door frame is the structural component surrounding the door, and a reinforced frame typically includes additional metal or steel reinforcements within its structure. These reinforcements distribute the force applied to the door more evenly, making it much harder for someone to kick the door open or force it out of the frame. Reinforced door frames are an effective deterrent against break-ins and are often used in high-security settings or for homeowners who prioritize robust security measures.
Privacy glass is an excellent option for homeowners who want to maintain their privacy while allowing natural light to enter their home. By using privacy glass on or near your front door, you can deter burglars by making it harder for them to see into your home. Frosted glass, textured glass, or tinted glass are commonly used to achieve this effect. Privacy glass can be incorporated into a new door or retrofitted into existing doors, depending on the complexity of the glass installation. It not only offers a sense of seclusion but also adds an element of style and elegance to your door, enhancing the overall aesthetic appeal of your home.
A simple yet effective security feature, a peephole allows you to identify visitors before opening the door. This enables you to exercise caution and avoid potential threats posed by strangers. Adding a peephole to your front door is a relatively simple task and can be done after the manufacturing process. It is a useful tool for enhancing the security of your home and ensuring the safety of your family.
Smart Doorbell Camera
Doorbell cameras have become increasingly popular in recent years and are a great security feature to add to your home. With a smart doorbell camera, you can see when someone arrives at your door, even when you aren’t home. This technology allows you to monitor your front door remotely and provides an extra layer of security. There are various options available on the market, ranging from basic security to high-tech features. Investing in a smart doorbell camera can provide you with peace of mind while you’re in or away from your home.
Built-in and Optional Door Security Features
When considering door security upgrades for your Charleston home, you have the option to choose doors with built-in security features or add additional security features to existing doors:
- Security Plate: Some doors come with a reinforced plate at the gap between the door and the frame, providing extra security against break-ins.
- Reinforced Door Frames: Certain doors come with reinforced frames, offering enhanced security against kick-ins and forced entries.
- Privacy Glass: Doors can be designed with privacy glass options, providing added privacy to the interior of your home.
Features That Can Be Added Later:
- Deadbolt Lock: If your existing door doesn’t have a deadbolt lock, you can add one to reinforce the security of your door.
- Peephole/Door Viewer: Adding a peephole to your door is a relatively simple task and can be done after the manufacturing process.
- Smart Doorbell Camera: A smart doorbell can be installed at any time and replaces your existing doorbell, providing additional security and convenience.
By considering these built-in and optional door security features, you can protect your Charleston home and loved ones from potential intrusions.
Protect Your Charleston Home with West Shore Home
When it comes to ensuring the security of your front door, West Shore Home is the leading expert in Charleston. Offering a range of door replacement and remodeling options, we provide secure front doors that prioritize safety and aesthetics. With the most updated technology in deadbolt locks, 20-gauge security plates in all of our doors, and front door peephole options, West Shore Home is the trusted choice for Charleston homeowners.
If you’re unsure about the security of your current door or want to explore options for door replacement, you can schedule a complimentary design consultation with one of our trusted design consultants. We will discuss your specific needs and recommend the best door security features for your home. Contact West Shore Home today to get started on enhancing the security of your front door and protecting your home.