Denver homeowners often find joy in enhancing their living spaces through DIY projects. One common renovation task is bathtub surround replacement. This may seem daunting depending on your level of expertise, so we will outline the step-by-step process and provide additional solutions in case the task is too large.
Replacing your Bathtub Surround
Before we dive into the DIY process, it’s essential to understand why you might consider replacing your bathtub surround:
- Enhanced Aesthetics: A new bathtub surround can revamp the look of your bathroom, making it more modern and stylish.
- Maintenance and Durability: Replacing worn-out or damaged surrounds can prevent future problems, including mold growth, water damage, and structural issues.
- Updated Features: Modern surrounds often come with features like built-in shelving, which can improve the functionality of your bathroom.
- Energy Efficiency: Upgrading to well-insulated bathtub surrounds can improve the energy efficiency of your home, especially important in Denver’s climate.
Now, let’s explore the steps to replace your bathtub surround yourself:
DIY Bathtub Surround Replacement: Step by Step
- New bathtub surround kit
- Utility knife
- Caulk gun
- Silicone caulk
- Measuring tape
Step 1: Prepare Your Workspace
Clear the area around your bathtub, providing easy access to the surround. Make sure you have all the materials and tools at hand.
Step 2: Remove Old Surround
Use a utility knife to cut away any caulk or adhesive, and then gently remove the old bathtub surround. Be cautious not to damage the wall or plumbing behind it.
Step 3: Measure and Prepare
Measure the dimensions of your bathtub space accurately. Choose a new bathtub surround kit that fits your measurements. If necessary, assemble the new surround following the manufacturer’s instructions.
Step 4: Install the New Surround
Position the new bathtub surround in place and secure it to the wall using screws and adhesive. Ensure it’s level and plumb to achieve a proper fit.
Step 5: Seal the Edges
Use a caulk gun to apply silicone caulk around the edges of the bathtub surround to create a watertight seal. Allow the caulk to dry completely.
Step 6: Test the Surround
Turn on the water and check for any leaks. Run the shower to ensure that the new surround is properly sealed and doesn’t allow water to penetrate.
Professional Bath Remodeling
While DIY bathtub surround replacement is achievable for some homeowners, there are scenarios where professional remodeling is highly recommended:
- Structural Repairs: If you discover underlying structural problems during the replacement, professionals can address them effectively.
- Custom Designs: For unique or custom-designed bathtub surrounds that don’t align with standard kits, professionals can provide tailored solutions.
- Warranty and Quality Assurance: Professional installations come with warranties and are guaranteed to perform optimally, offering peace of mind.
For more complex designs or custom installations, consider reaching out to West Shore Home®. We have the experience and expertise to manage a wide range of projects, ensuring your vision becomes a reality. Get started on your bath remodel today.